Sunday, April 12, 2009

Passing the Time With a Little Bracketology

Hey, look at that... the Internet service here decided to let me post a picture. This was me at a convoy briefing last month just before I went outside the wire as the driver of an MRAP (Mine Resistant, Ambush Proof 18 ton armored vehicle). There aren't a whole lot of officers who are actually licenced to drive over here and even fewer who actually get out and drive but I really like driving and from time to time there is a need for me to help out so they let me behind the wheel. I bet the enlisted passengers aren't too excited when they see an LT is driving them but I think I do a pretty good job, and if nothing else I've always brought everyone in my vehicle safely back, no worse for wear.

As my time here draws ever closer to an end I am finding new ways to entertain myself until I get back to the real world. I have taken it upon myself to acquire some $10,000 worth of recreational equipment from the good folks at the USO since there is nothing MWR (Moral, Welfare & Recreation) to speak of here on FOB Gardez. Most of the equipment has come in, including an X-Box 360 and a Wii but we still have no facility to house all this fun stuff so for now they are set up in my office, along with a 42" plasma screen TV and I let people come in a use the stuff there. We're supposed to be getting the building materials for the MWR facility in the next few days but we'll still have to wait for the skilled craftsmen (i.e. not me) to construct something sufficient for our needs.
I recently found something on line that might be a fun distraction for me. It is a website called Bracketeers and you can set up tournament style brackets to determine what random item from a group of random items is the best whatever... did that make any sense? Well, in honor of the recent termination of March Madness (congratulations UNC, you succeeded in completely destroying the second half of my bracket this year) I have selected 64 of the movies Lisa and I have rated 5 stars on our Netflix account, randomly seeded them and starting RIGHT NOW you (yes you!) can click HERE and start voting for your favorites. A new round will begin each Sunday until late May when a winner is crowned. I would appreciate your participation because it will give me something to do here, something to look forward to when I get back to my room at night besides going to sleep and starting the next 14 hour work day.

1 comment:

adventures in an empty nest said...

Ok some of those were just mean to have to choose between. Others not so much!! Why didn't he just throw the ring away???? :) Loves Ya