Saturday, April 18, 2009

Movie Madness, Round Two Begins

In about 18 hours round two of the “Movie Madness” bracket will kick off (Sunday, 19 April, 0001 EST to be exact). First off, I want to thank everyone who has participated. 808 total votes have thus far been cast; 40 so far today, making “Movie Madness” the “Top Bracket” on Bracketeers.com. I’m not going to cover all the categories but I would like to highlight a few “massive victories” (getting over 75% of the votes) and a few “surprise upsets” (according to me).

Saving Private Ryan and It’s a Wonderful Life took exactly 75% of the votes over Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and The Mummy respectivly but that was far from the biggest landslides. Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade 78.6%, The Truman Show’s 21.4%. Forrest Gump 79.2%, Shaun of the Dead 20.8%. Back to the Future 82.1%, Finding Neverland 17.9%. The Dark Knight 84%, The Last Samurai 16% (One of the harder ones for me to pick from. I REALLY liked Last Samurai, but had to go with Dark Knight). The biggest beating was given by Memento (88% of the votes) to A Very Long Engagement (with just 12%. I wonder how many have really seen this French gem with Audrey Tautou?).

Now for some that I see as upsets. I am surprised that Life is Beautiful has taken 2/3’s of the vote from The Rock and National Treasure has taken almost as many from Aladdin. I didn’t think O Brother Where Art Thou would garner enough support to defeat the cult classic The Princess Bride but it looks like it will, 56% to 44%. It looks like the 1980 Raiders of the Lost Ark will edge out the 2007 smash hit Juno 54.2% to 45.8% and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Black Pearl will take out The Goonies 62.5% to 37.5%. Perhaps the biggest upset is the highest grossing trilogy of all time The Lord of the Rings being edged out by the Sixth Sense 52.2% to 47.8%.

I am sad to see my #2 and #3 favorites About a Boy and In Good Company falling so early in the contest as well as my #5 Lost in Translation… to Pee Wee Herman of all people!
Now, if you would like to vote in round two and it is after 0001 EST on Sunday click HERE!

No comments: