Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'll Be Home For Christmas

About a week or so before Christmas I was asked if I would be willing to to be one of the first three people on my PRT to take leave. Of course I said I would be more than willing to do that, especially since it was not only going to be Carter's first Christmas but while I have missed several events such as Thanksgivings and birthdays due to my military service I have yet to miss a Christmas. Then about a week before Christmas I was told that I would in fact be going. The next morning I drove a 2 1/2 ton truck for five hours as part of a convoy to Bagram and started my journey home for midtour leave. They were about 700 people behind schedule at Bagram and a bit of bad weather so I didn't get out of Afghanistan until the 19th, which was one day behind schedule but I wasn't complaining.

I flew from Bagram to Ali al Salem in Kuwait where I spent about 18 hours waiting for a commercial flight back to my family. I am fortunate that my final leave destination was at an overseas location. The people going on leave back tot he States had a three day wait before they could get a commercial flight out of the Kuwait City International Airport. I got to KCIA Saturday night for the hour long flight to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates on Emirates airlines (which, for the record, is a really nice airline. If any of you are considering a leisurely vacation to the Middle East anytime in the near future I would definitely recommend Emirates... and really, who wouldn't want to vacation in the Middle East, especially at this time and as an American. They love us there... right?). From Dubai I had about an 8 hour flight to Osaka and then a two hour flight to Naha and back to wonderful family. I got back to Okinawa a little before 10 PM on the 21st.

It has been such a blessing to be able to spend Christmas and New Year's with Lisa, Coryn and Carter. I have been able to see the new house, catch up with old friends and see Carter take his first steps. I'm sure either Lisa or I will post some pictures of my time here but for now I would like to post a few more pictures from Gardez.
Here is my crib... actually I only occupy 1/4 of this plywood beauty. At least it's warm and I have a mini fridge to keep my Dr. Pepper cold.

This is my office and supply room. It is literally 15 feet from my hooch so I won't have to spend too much time outside when it gets to 20 below... except when I have to shower... or eat... or do laundry... okay, I'll probably have to spend a lot of time outside in freezing temperatures but not when I'm going from my room to my office (more pix of the best office on the PRT to follow in a future post). That would be crazy Senior Airman Mayo coming out the office... not sure what he was doing in there but from the look of things it wasn't official business.

Here is the sweet ride that the Army has given me.

There is a little beauty to be found around here.

This may be my favorite picture of all time. I know when I'm not wanted, but I though the boys from Chicago would be a little more tolerant.

No comments: