Saturday, May 17, 2008

Just Me and My Dad

While I was in Hawaii in March I picked up a couple of books for Coryn. One of them, entitled Just Me and My Dad is about a boy who goes camping with his father and all the things they do together. This book has become one of his most requested stories as of late so when it came time for the Father & Son outing I decided to take my chances and take him camping.

I was able to get off work about an hour and a half early so we could make the two hour (as you can see by the picture, he "helped" with the driving) drive up north to Okuma, one of the local Armed Forces Recreational Facilities, and arrive while it was still light so I wouldn't have to figure out how to set up the tent I rented in the dark... I didn't bring any of my camping equipment to Okinawa with me, I figured there wouldn't really be anyplace to camp at... who knew?



So we drove up, pitched the tent and Coryn REALLY enjoyed the Ham and Cheese lunchable he had for dinner... since the ham was circular he kept referring to it as "pepperoni." Anyway, he really seemed to enjoy himself. There were quite a few other boys there he knows and he was able to help them dig holes on the beach in the dark Friday night and bury people in the sand Saturday morning. I would have to day the highlight of the trip for him came Friday night when he was given his very own glow stick and ate his very first s'more. He timidly took his first bite (I had just had the marshmallows over the fire after all) and exclaimed, "Mmmmm, that's yummy!"





All in all it was a fun trip. There were a few "why am I trying to camp with a two year old" moments but I'm sure we'll do it again next year which will probably be the last year that it is "just me and my dad."

No comments: