Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ryukyu Mura 2

In this continuation we have the Juri (Okinawan geisha) parade where they 'ride' wooden horses. This is a January festival.
Here we see the Eisa drummers who always seem to be led in their dance by this funny looking guy... he has his own dance called Chondara but I don't know what its for, he whistles really well. The Eisa is performed for ancestor's souls on Lunar Bon holidays, they have a competition each year for people to show their families' version of the Bon dance, for the most part it is waving your arms in the air to the beat.
Here is the Mamidoma dance which is comprised of folk doing harvesting motions.

At the end of the parade they have everyone join in the dance circle, this little old lady walks around with a big bottle of sake on her head asking people to join in... I don't know what the signifigance is in the sake... yes its full.
I realize that I never completed the first posting about this, I'll go fix it now.

No comments: